Tuesday, December 31, 2019

A decade in retrospect

Ten years ago, I wrote a blogpost for the now defunct TubaSaluki site titled, “Well that Decade was Shit”. And it’s possible that the last few months of that decade were coloring things a bit. I had lost a job, was living with my parents, and had little idea of what was in store for me. 

I did what was probably the best thing I could do, which was hit send on the post and then went to Seattle to drink with friends. It was, as I recall, a good time. And while I didn’t receive a kiss that New Year’s, it was not long until I had a new job, and then suddenly a girlfriend, then a wife, and then a second degree, and then a new career, and now as I write this, I am trying to get my oldest daughter to take a nap.

A lot can change in ten years.

This is what could be called my Montana decade. I moved there in January of 2010, and there I remain. Sometimes there are pressures and longings to come back to Washington, but it’s hard to just discard a life built. My common refrain in answer to these queries, whether from friends or from myself is that, “If it were just me...”

That it isn’t just me is the biggest and best change from this decade. Given that Kodi and I started dating soon after I moved to Havre, we are coming up on ten years together. She’s put up with my whims and moods, frustrations and triumphs. I will never know how I became so lucky to be married to such a wonderful person.

Together this decade, we weathered the storm of infertility. We made monthly pilgrimages to Billings, and after a long stretch of frustration and tears, we finally were pregnant. Now two and a half, Zoey is a bundle of energy, a character, a joy. She’s been joined by Abigail, who at three months old is developing her personality. One of the things I most look forward to in the next decade is watching those two grow up. 

I changed careers this past decade. I knew early on in my time in Havre that radio news would not cut it for me. I went to Montana State and earned a teaching degree, and acquired a new set of friends who took me in, despite me being a bit older than them. 

I went into teaching and have been in one teaching job. This is year six in Savage, so I can rightly say that I’ve spent over half a decade there. I’ve watched students grow and develop, from junior high kids into young men and women. I usually cap the year by grabbing a piece of cake from graduation and heading into my classroom to eat it and read the thank you notes the seniors wrote me. This way I can tear up in peace, and recompose myself before heading home. I hope I’ve made a difference in their lives. I know they’ve made a difference in mine. 

Overall, this was a great decade for me. Though, much like ten years ago, I don’t know what is in store for the future. But the same can be said for each decade.

Here’s to another ten trips around the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment