Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Taking over

I'm into my third week of student teaching, and I have taken over two classes. I have the freshman and juniors. Once the sophomores finish up To Kill a Mockingbird I will get them as well.

So far, so good up at Harrison. The freshman have begun their mythologies unit. I started them out with an introduction to the Greek gods and goddesses. We went through the pantheon. I was happy when one of the students knew the myth of Hades and Persephone. After that, we read some Aesop's fables and other short myths. I gave the class an assignment on the last myth. They were to answer a few questions about it, to gauge their comprehension levels. They did fairly well with this, though I want to see a little more depth going forward. Still, a good start.

Tuesday week went over the hero's journey. The students seemed really engaged and were able to apply the concept well to stories they were more familiar with. I had them take one of those stories and explain how it fit within the hero's journey. 

Today we started the Odyssey. I think it went well. Students and myself took turns reading aloud, and sometimes I'd ask them to reflect on what they had read. I think they are a bit hesitant right now, because they don't really know what to expect out of me. But, the students are pretty sharp and they were able to think critically and answer questions. I'm hoping as we move forward, they'll develop these analytical skills.

For the juniors, we are giving them a bit of a break after semesters. We watched The Help. The film related well to some of the readings that they did, such as Huck Finn this year and To Kill a Mockingbird last year. We've started a discussion on it. As this week wraps up, we'll start in with their research paper unit. The students aren't very excited about it, but I think it will go well. I've got a plan and good support. 

Until next time....

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment