Saturday, August 11, 2012

I read: Roadside Picnic

Are you ready for some rapid fire book reviews? Because while I have been reading this summer, I haven't been writting about it. So, here's the first of three book reviews: Roadside Picnic. Roadside Picnic is a Russian science fiction novel by Arkandy and Boris Strugastky. I came across the book through the absolutely awesome blog, io9 and the concept seemed like an interesting one. Aliens have come, they left without saying anything, and now in order to figure it all out, people go (often illegally) into the zones where they landed and take stuff out. A point is made in the introduction of my copy that in most sci-fi novels with an alien encounter, it is the result of something heroic. Our brilliant scientists have communicated with them. Our brave soldiers have fended them off. Our wise president has negotiated an agreement with them. But, what if they just came and left? The thing that the story does that I really enjoy (and is also pointed out in the introduction) is it looks at how this event, a global event, one of the biggest events in human history, impacts a commonor. The main character, Red, takes advantage of the situation by being a stalker (someone who enters the zone illegally and sells artifacts on the blackmarket)as well as working for a scientific agency devoted to the zone. He's not a scientist, really just someone who goes in and out of the zone. Through his eyes, we see how the visit has impacted other parts of society: there are abandoned cottages, the scientific inquiry into the area leads to a slight population boon (though in other parts of the world, no one is allowed near the zones for quite some distance). The story focuses on Red and his day to day life, inserting speculation on the visit and commentary on things happening elsewhere are sprinkled in from time to time. Seeing through Red's struggles and triumphs makes his wish of "happiness for everybody, free, and no one will go away unsatisfied" all the more enduring. This was my first time reading anything Russain, and it was very enjoyable. I thought the ending was beautiful. But would I reccomend it to a high school student? Possibly. The version I bought has an afterword from the authors detailing why it took eight years to get the novel published. Soviet censors had no qualms with the subject of the book, or its message, but rather the swearing and questionable actions by the heroes. As a teacher, I would have nothing wrong with a book with heroes that do questionable things (I do love Breaking Bad, for instance) but the swearing might put this book out of my comfort zone for teaching it. I personally am not opposed, but for job security sake I'm not sure this one would make my bookshelf when I get a classroom. Though, would I reccomend it to a mature student? Absolutely. Next up (tomorrow, maybe!) The Postmortal

No comments:

Post a Comment